Prep time: 2 hours + 15 minutes (includes time to refrigerate the dough)
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Total time: 2 hours 40 minutes
2 ½+ cups all-purpose flour or gluten free all purpose flour
2 tablespoons coconut sugar or granulated sugar
3/4 teaspoon sea salt
1 cup unsalted butter, cold and sliced
1/2 cup + 3 tablespoons water
Apple Berry Hand Pie Filling:
2 medium apples: granny smith, peeled, cored and diced (2 cups)
2 teaspoons lemon juice
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/3 cup World of Chia Fruit Spread, Blackberry or Wild Berries
1 egg whisked+ 1 tablespoon water
1/4 + cup all-purpose flour
Pie Crust Instructions:
1. In a bowl of a food processor with a metal blade place the flour, sugar and salt. Add the sliced cold butter and pulse a few times, until the butter resembles peas and is mixed well. Slowly add the water and pulse until the dough becomes crumbly and sticking together. Remove the dough and place it on a plate to form into a ball and cover with plastic wrap. Chill the dough for a minimum of 2 hours in the refrigerator maximum 4 days. Freeze the dough labeled and dated for up to 3 months.
Apple Berry Hand Pie Instructions:
1. Preheat oven to 400˚ F. Prepare two baking sheets with parchment paper or a silicone mat and set aside.
2. In a medium bowl add apples, lemon juice, ground cinnamon, World of Chia Fruit Spread.
3. Remove the pie dough from the refrigerator cut it in half and refrigerate the other half until ready to use.
4. On a clean floured surface, roll the dough out from the middle into a large circle approximately 1/4 inch thick. Use a round cookie cutter 4″ to cut 8 round pies. Place these 8 rounds onto the baking sheet using a spatula and repeat this step with the remaining dough yielding 16 circles total.
5. Place approximately 2 tablespoon of the pie filling into the center of the 8 circles then brush with the egg wash around the outer edge. Place the remaining rounds on top creating 8 hand pies. If the dough is crumbly sprinkle some cold water over the dough gently with your fingers and the dough will smooth out. Press the top edge onto the bottom one carefully pressing the edges together. Use a fork to tightly crimp the outer edges.
6. Use a paring knife, in the middle of the pie to make 4 slits in each direction.
7. Place the hand pies onto each baking tray. Brush the pie crust with the egg wash.
8. Bake hand pies for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown and baked through.
9.Cool pies on trays for about 10 minutes and enjoy. These can be served warm or at room temperature.