Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Total time: 40 minutes
1½ cups coarsely ground cornmeal
1/2 cup all-purpose flour or gluten free flour
1/3 cup coconut sugar
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/3 cup milk of choice
1 cup kefir
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 eggs, lightly beaten
8 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted (1/2 cup) or 1/2 cup avocado oil, divided
1. Preheat the oven to 400ºF.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together the cornmeal, flour, sugar, salt, baking powder, and baking soda.
3. In a separate bowl whisk in the milk, kefir, vanilla extract and eggs. Add 7 tablespoons melted butter or avocado oil.
4. Grease a 9 inch pie pan with the remaining 1 tablespoon of butter or avocado oil.
5. Make a well in the center of the flour mixture and pour in the egg/liquid mixture. Gently stir, to combine. The batter will be thick but easy to pour.
6. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes until an a toothpick comes out of the center of the cornbread comes clean. Cool for 20 minutes before slicing. Serve with chia fruit spread flavor of choice.