Prep time: 90 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total time: 120 minutes
2 ½ cups all-purpose flour or gluten free all purpose flour
2 tablespoons coconut sugar or granulated cane sugar
¾ teaspoon sea salt
1 cup unsalted butter, cold and sliced
2 tablespoons milk
½ cup water
1 Jar World of Chia Strawberry Standard Chia Fruit Spread
1 tablespoon milk
1. In a large bowl, whisk the flour, sugar and salt. Using a pastry blender, cut the butter to the size of small pearls and add, keep whisking the mixture until it holds together when squeezed.
2. In a small bowl, whisk the egg and milk. Add to the dough. Mix together with a fork until it is evenly moist. If needed, add slowly enough water (up to ½ cup) to get to an evenly moist dough. Knead briefly on a floured surface until the dough comes together
3. Remove the dough and place it on a plate to form into a ball and cover with plastic wrap. Chill the dough for a minimum of 2 hours and maximum of 4 days.
4. Preheat oven to 350 F
5. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper or a silicone mat and set aside
6. Remove the pie dough from the refrigerator, cut in half and refrigerate the other half until ready to use
7. On a clean floured surface, roll the dough out from the middle into a large circle of approximately ¼ inch thick. Use a heart shaped cookie cutter around 3” to cut 10 heart shaped pies. Place these 10 hearts onto the baking sheet using a spatula and repeat this step with the remaining dough yielding 20 hearts in total
8. In a small bowl, whisk together the egg and milk for the egg wash
9. Place approximately 1 1/2 tablespoons of World of Chia Strawberry Standard Chia Fruit Spread into the center of each of the 10 hearts, then brush with egg wash around the outer edge. Place the remaining hearts on top creating 10 heart shaped pies. If the dough is crumbly, sprinkle some cold water over the dough gently with your fingers and the dough will smooth out. Press the top edge onto the bottom one carefully pressing the edges together. Use a fork to tightly crimp the outer edges. Prick the tops of the pies in various places to allow steam to escape.
10. Place the hand pies onto each baking tray. Brush the pie crust with the egg wash
11. Bake the pies for 25 – 30 minutes, until lightly browned and baked through. Cool completely.